At our inaugural meeting in March 1997 we had 50 members, enough to make the branch viable. Several members joined the committee and the role of newsletter editor and branch recorder passed to Keith Warmington allowing Margaret Vickey and Mike Slater to concentrate on their other roles. Richard Lamb also joined the committee as vice branch organiser and joint education officer alongside Rosemary Plumbley (meetings secretary and joint education officer), David Brown (moth conservation officer), and committee members: Neil Thompson, Dave Cole, Phil Parr and Jon Holmes.
Jon Holmes, who worked for Warwick District Council was instrumental in setting up a number of local nature reserves in the District. He also instigated the creation of the butterfly garden in Jephson Gardens, Leamington.
The First Committee - March 1997
- Mike Slater - Acting chairman, branch organiser and conservation officer
- Margaret Vickery - Treasurer
- Keith Warmington - newsletter editor and branch recorder
- Richard Lamb - Vice branch organiser and joint education officer
- Rosemary Plumbley - meetings secretary and joint education officer
- David Brown - moth conservation officer
- Neil Thompson - committee member
- Dave Cole - committee member
- Phil Parr - committee member
- Jon Holmes - committee member